Nurture the monk in yourself and in others
The Oblates of Holy Wisdom Monastery form an ecumenical learning community of women and men, guided by the mission, vision and values of Holy Wisdom Monastery. Diverse in ages and faith traditions, they find guidance for their daily lives in the Rule of Benedict. Oblates seek God through a balance of prayer, work, leisure and study. They meet regularly to help one another grow spiritually; to nurture the inward, spiritual journey; and to integrate Benedictine spirituality into their lives.
Explore Benedictine spirituality
Oblates of Holy Wisdom Monastery, are encouraged to:
- study the Rule of Benedict, a guide for Christian spirituality;
- develop a personal spiritual rule of life and deepen their Benedictine spirituality;
- be an active participant in the oblate community;
- provide service to the oblate community and the monastery.
Make a commitment
to a larger vision
If you wish to learn more about the oblate community of Holy Wisdom Monastery, we encourage you to become an inquirer, and attend oblate and monastery gatherings. If you then discern a desire to become an oblate of Holy Wisdom Monastery, you will spend one or two years in discernment as a candidate. The oblate candidate commits to:
- attend scheduled candidate gatherings (retreats and classes) during the formation year to discern if they are being called to become an oblate at Holy Wisdom Monastery;
- study the Rule of Benedict and consider its application to their lives;
- grow spiritually through prayer, self-reflection, listening, and participation;
- form community with their oblate class, supporting each other’s spiritual growth;
- deepen their connection to Holy Wisdom Monastery.
Becoming an oblate candidate
Interested in joining the oblate community at Holy Wisdom? Click the button below to get more information about the community and to be notified when our next candidate class begins. We also encourage you to review the Holy Wisdom Monastery website and attend gatherings to learn more about the mission, vision and values of the monastery which guide our oblate community.
Learn more about becoming
an oblate candidate
2021 Oblate gatherings:
- February 26-28 – Open to the Pubic
Praying the Psalms with Jesus
with Richard Bruxvoort Colligan
- May 15-16
The Wisdom of Wild Grace
with Christine Valters Paintner