Dedicated to caring for the earth
at Holy Wisdom Monastery
Embracing our land as a sanctuary for all
Holy Wisdom Monastery is home to a diverse and beautiful ecosystem that includes restored prairie, oak savanna, woodlands, wetlands and a glacial pond. Four miles of walking trails weave throughout the property.
Ensuring that the land remains a shared place for restoration, healing, connection and growth relies on support from our community.
Friends of Wisdom Prairie
Ambassadors for environmental stewardship
Since 2014, Friends of Wisdom Prairie have supported the sisters’ mission to care for the earth by contributing financial support, volunteer labor, and a growing community of advocates. Examples of projects made possible by the commitment and support of Friends of Wisdom Prairie include:
- restoring 53 acres of former crop land to diverse prairie
- environmental education programs reaching 100s of people every year
- surveys and species counts documenting a healthy and diverse ecosystem
- brochures describing and picturing flowers, trees and shrubs
wildflower walk brochureDownload the late summer
wildflower walk brochureDownload the deciduous
shrub brochureDownload the deciduous
tree brochureDownload the conifer
Benefits of Membership
As a member of this community, we invite you to:
- grow your understanding of place-based ecology and spirituality
- Appreciate the best view in Madison in a peaceful, contemplative setting
- Find community and participate in restoration projects and surveys
- Celebrate the past, present and future connections of people to this land
- Enjoy the spiritual satisfaction of helping the sisters care for the earth
Join us today!
Can we count on your support?
Help support the environmental efforts at Holy Wisdom by becoming a Friend of Wisdom Prairie. Register online and join today. For more information, contact Amy Alstad at aalstad@holywisdommonastery.
org, 608-836-1631, x123.
Become a Friend
eventsLearn about the nature trails
Learn about the Greg Armstrong
Wisdom Prairie Internship Program
Caring for Common Ground
Friends of Wisdom Prairie brochure
Download the 2022 schedule of
Friends of Wisdom Prairie events
Download the 2021 Friends of Wisdom Prairie annual report
(monthly nature happenings)
by Sylvia Marek
Learn about the Environmental History
of this land