Statement to Guests of Holy Wisdom Monastery
Regarding Coronavirus – 3/17/20
You are probably aware of the coronavirus outbreak that has affected some parts of China, the US, Italy and more than 100 other counties. We are keeping close tabs on the situation; this is a fluid situation so we are frequently checking public health authorities for updates and advice on how to proceed.
Coronavirus has had only minimal spread in Wisconsin, however we are taking the following precautions. We want you to be aware of the precautions we are taking to keep you safe and what you can do to help. These recommendations come to us from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Bathrooms and other sinks around Holy Wisdom Monastery have an ample supply of hand soap for washing your hands. Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers. We have distributed extra containers of hand sanitizer around the Monastery Building and Retreat and Guest House.
- We have purchased extra containers of virucidal wipes and have placed them throughout the Monastery Building and Retreat and Guest House. We encourage guests to follow CDC recommendations to clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces with antiseptic wipes. Additionally, our housekeeping department are performing daily virucidal wiping of high touch areas in both buildings.
- Avoid touching eyes, mouth and nose with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with individuals who are sick.
- If you have been sick, do not come to Holy Wisdom for at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever or signs of a fever. If you are diagnosed with covid-19 or influenza, please follow CDC and Dane County Public Health quarantine recommendations/requirements. Employees of Holy Wisdom Monastery who have a fever or show signs of sickness will be sent home and their work area wiped down with virucidal wipes.
- Cover coughs or sneezes with a facial tissue, then immediately discard the tissue in the trash. We have placed an ample supply around the Monastery Building and Retreat and Guest House. Contact a staff person if you need more tissues.
- CDC signage has been placed in various public areas to remind individuals of these precautions.
- People who have been in contact with someone diagnosed with coronavirus or have been to an area where coronavirus is spreading within the past 14 days should not come to Holy Wisdom Monastery. This includes both international travel to Level 2 and 3 countries with widespread illness and domestic travel to states with more than 10 cases.
Dane County Public Health Department has announced a temporary restriction on gatherings of 10 or more people. So for the time being all Holy Wisdom Monastery events, group meetings, programs, etc. of 10 or more people are cancelled or postponed. However, we will continue to show Benedictine hospitality by welcoming everybody through our doors for smaller meetings, personal retreats, prayer services, etc.